Home * Patterns * Tutorials * Made It * Our Story

Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Made It: A Quilt for Mom

Well, blogging everyday hasn't been a thing, but I have a good reason for it... Last week I traveled to sunny St. George, UT to visit my sisters and my mom! It was such a wonderful trip!!! I missed out on the crazy blizzard here in North Dakota - don't worry, I didn't cry about it. lol. And my husband was absolutely amazing with the kids while I was away! I told him that they all seemed to do better without me. But he adamantly reassured me that they prefer having me home. ;) haha. 

We stayed at my sisters house, and I just love her family! Her kids are getting so big! (as is always the case when you don't see them often enough). I was also able to visit with some of our very good friends from when we lived in Iowa, as well as some of our best friends (that I served with while on my mission) and Neil got to know after we got married. My heart was so full!! I don't think anything beats being with the people you love! Although eating at my favorite restaurants and getting out and being able to hike around was also very refreshing and refueling for my soul!


I bought my tickets to fly out to Utah a few months ago, and in the meantime my mom was diagnosed with breast cancer and moved in with my sister. When I realized that I would get to see her while I was there I knew I needed to make her a quilt!!! This was 2 weeks before I left... so from planning and designing what I would make, paper piecing 12 blocks, completing the quilt top, basting, quilting, and sewing on the binding, it was definitely a miracle that I was able to do all of that in such a short amount of time! (I attached the binding before I left and was going to sew it on the rest of the way while I was there. I got it half way finished on the flight out there, and then I didn't pick it up at all while I was there - so I brought it back home with me. duh! I did show her, but I didn't want to leave it unfinished.... now it is completely finished, so now I need to mail it out to her. good grief. lol. my husband just rolled his eyes at me when he saw it still in my bag.) 

Anyway, here it is...


I used my Taurus pattern. For the outside edges I pieced all the outer sections as single white pieces. It's hard to tell in the photo, but I have a darker and lighter grey that twists between the blocks going down the quilt.

When I think of my mom I instantly think of red, orange and yellow. Not my usual color palette, but I'm happy with how it turned out!


This was my first idea, but the more I looked at it, the less I liked it... though I do still actually like it a lot. I don't know if the border of the image shows up, but this design would have simply gone down the left third of the quilt (not right on the edge, but not centered).


Maybe I'll make it with this layout another day.



My mom started her chemo on Monday, so please keep her in your prayers if you will!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping in to say hi! I always love your comments, they make me smile!

If you have a no-reply account, be sure to leave your email address so I can respond to you.